Skip to content Skip to main navigation Report an accessibility issue

MS Admissions and Applications


A baccalaureate degree in communication or a related field is recommended. However, admission is possible with other baccalaureate degrees. All applicants without the appropriate background may be required to take 9-12 semester hours of pre-requisite and/or co-requisite courses.

cci grad students

At the time of application, students indicate an intended concentration. The student’s record is reviewed by representatives of the appropriate school and the associate dean to identify any pre-requisite and/or co-requisite courses needed for that concentration. If a student should later decide to switch to a different concentration, the student must resubmit an application form. The appropriate school director or his/her designee responsible for the new concentration area will review that form as well as the student’s academic record and determine whether the student is qualified for the new concentration. If so, the director/designee may identify additional courses needed to ensure the student is prepared for a career in the concentration area.

Minimum requirements normally include a 3.0 (4.0 system) grade point average in undergraduate studies. Graduate Record Examination (GRE) scores are optional. For students whose native language is not English and who have not earned an earlier degree at an English-language college or university, the Test of English as a Foreign Language (TOEFL) is required. The score must not be older than two years.

Please note that the above information pertains to the college-wide master’s degree in communication and information. Contact the School of Information Sciences for information about admissions into master’s in information sciences program.


To apply to the college-wide master’s program, go to the University of Tennessee Graduate Admissions Application Online Submission site (online submission). Via that online portal, you will have access to both the Graduate School’s and the College of Communication and Information’s required application material.

The Graduate School’s required application material is as follows:

  • The University of Tennessee Graduate School Application for Admission Form.
  • Copies of transcripts from colleges and/or universities you have attended.
  • Optional: Official results of Graduate Record Exam (GRE).
  • Students who are not native speakers of English and have not earned a degree from an institution that teaches in English must submit official results of the Test of English as a Foreign Language (TOEFL).

The College of Communication and Information’s required material is as follows:

  • Supplemental Information Form. (This form provides instructions regarding how to upload your Statement of Purpose
  • Three applicant rating forms completed by individuals who can evaluate your likelihood for success in graduate school (e.g. former professors). A written letter of reference may be attached to this form.

All new students begin their graduate classes in the fall semester. If you are seeking funding, the application deadline is January 15 prior to the start of the fall for which you are applying. Even if you are not seeking funding, you should submit application materials by January 15 to have the best chance of being considered for MS program. A limited number of slots open each fall and preference is given to applicants whose materials are submitted by January 15.

Financial Aid

If you are interested in receiving funding, you should also complete application forms as appropriate for assistantships or associateships and scholarships or fellowships. See also the page on Graduate Studies Financial Aid, Fellowships and ScholarshipsThe application forms for funding are also available via the University of Tennessee Graduate Admissions Application Online Submission site (online submission). Should you wish to submit hard copies of the application forms directly to the College of Communication and Information, pdf copies of the forms are provided here:

Possible funding assistance is also available from the Graduate School.

Other Helpful Information